Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Gateaux

Hello! 

I hope that you are all doing well.  I have been out of touch recently pursuing a new endeavor.  As you may know I have been making cakes and cupcakes for a few years.  I have been asked over and over again if I sell them commercially.  I always brushed it off.  I would often take a cake to an
 event as my hostess gift.  They routinely had polka dots in the middle of them and were finished with fondant.  The time requirement to make these is huge....but well worth it.  


This was my Easter cake from last year


However, in January I decided to use the same recipe and make cupcakes for a friend's birthday.  She was one of the biggest fans of the cakes.  When I presented her with the cupcakes she exclaimed, "They are beautiful, where did you get them?"  That evening my daughter sat me down and said that I should seriously look into opening a business.  

As I was going to sleep I decided to do a bit of research.  I knew that there were many rules and regulations around cooking in a residential kitchen and selling commercially.  Interestingly enough, I found out that the previous January " the Cottage Food Bill" was enacted in California allowing some low risk foods to be made and distributed in this fashion.  In early February I set a goal of opening my small, custom order cupcake business on March 1st.  As there were many licenses and certifications to obtain, along with the normal hoops to jump through, it was not an easy process.  But I did it!  

Gateaux has been open just shy of two months.  I am having a great time with it.  Here are some of my creations for customers thus far.  

Monogrammed vanilla 



Shamrocks for an Irish friend's birthday party


Shamrock confetti on lemon cupcakes with raspberry lemon frosting


Vanilla with salted caramel filling and sea salt flakes on top


Hand punched fondant confetti


Owls for my daughter's friend


Gerbera daisies



Crab feed treats


Blue and green (my favorite color combo)


Princess party


Last but certainly not least, the ones I am the most proud of...
Striped bows and polka dots for a baby shower



Thanks for visiting

I will keep you updated as Gateaux grows and I have new creations to share with you 

Michele

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! My favorite is the crown cupcakes. I have always wanted to have a little scone shop...or breakfast cafe. I am excited for you. Best wishes. xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new business! That is so wonderful to hear. Your cakes are really beautiful. You do have a knack for unique and beautiful designs. I wish I could taste them! I wish you much success with your new business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I AM SO IMPRESSED!!!!
    Congratulations!
    You know that I have been a fan for a long time!!!
    withLove!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Your creations are beautiful. I have long thought you should open a business baking after seeing some of the things you have posted on your blog in the past. Wishing you the best of luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word those pink cupcakes are the best!! Yaa for you!! A young gal in the next town over started a little cupcake store and she is so busy it turned out to be a full time job!! She makes the best cupcakes I have ever tasted! I hope you have much success !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit. I really love to hear from you....